Vaastu Shastra – Indian Feng Shui
Vaastu shastra is the traditional Indian system of architecture and design of vedic origin which helps one to reap the maximum support and positive energy from the environment that one reside. It deals with the correct placement of man with respect to its environment to achieve harmony with nature and is based on the influences of the five natural elements; sun, air, water, earth and space in conjugation with the force exerted by earth’s magnetic fields.
Vastushastra lays down guidelines that will assist in chosing the right plot, deciding the building layout and demarcation of areas for different activities. Essentially it’s the art of containing and balancing the innate energy that is present in a plot for positive benefits. When this is done, it will manifest in every aspect of existence – physical and spiritual. But common man often acknowledge and appreciate this positive effects through their material perception based on increase in wealth, health, prosperity and well being.
Vaastushastra gives clear directions as to how a plot of land should be chosen, be it for residential, industrial, educational, commercial or any other purpose and goes further to tells us how the buildings on the plot should be constructed and the various amenities located there in, taking into account the movement of the sun and moon, and suggests layouts in relation to the four magnetic directions i.e North, South, East and West. According to the science, positive magnetic energy that initiates from the north east corner of a plot, transverse diagonally to the south west.
So to contain the innate energy within a plot, the northeast corner should be the lowest part in the plot and south west the highest. The human body is also a magnet with millions of biomagnetic waves transmitted from and to the brain every split second. The brain supposedly produce 30watts electricity. Vaastushastra considers Head as the north pole and feet as the south pole of the magnetic body.
The origin of the science of Vaastu Shastra dates back to 5000BC. The word Vaastu is derived from ‘Vastoshpati’ used in the Rig-Veda. The first official treatise on Vaastu is the Kasyapa Silpa written by Sage Kasyapa. In the treatise Agama Shastra, which explains the science of temples, Vaastu is considered as the basis of any construction. The excavations at Harappa and Mohenjodaro indicated the influence of Vaastushastra on the Indus Valley Civilization.
In the western world the recognition led to the understanding and development of the science of geopathy. Geo means ‘earth’ and pathy means ‘disease’. The science of geopathy is therefore the study of the diseases of the earth. One interesting aspect of geopathy was that equal importance was given to both the structure and the radiation’s underneath the earth which are invisible.
Geopathy recognizes that electromagnetic radiation’s which are cosmic in origin surrounds the globe. The geopathic scientists were of the view that radiation distortions was a natural phenomenon which could make a site unsafe for building any thing over it. These distortions would result in a distorted energy field in a structure if the structure was near or over the distorted point. Geopathists put forth the theory that this could result in unhappy homes, sickness and lack of prosperity.
There are several factors which can contribute to geopathic stress. One is the underground streams which suddenly change course or meet with falls even if they are at great depths from the surface. Dr.Curry of Germany discovered electrically charged lines of natural origin flowing on northeast-southwest and southeast-northwest lines at approximately three meters apart forming a grid which is now known as ‘Curry grid’.
Dr.Ernst Hartmann, another German scientist discovered charged lines crisscrossing on east-west and north-south directions and where two lines met they formed eother a double positive or double negative junctions. Painstaking studies established that sleeping over these crossed junctions can cause organic diseases including cancer.
The use of Vaastusashtra is specific to an individual and involves complex mathematical calculations along with the knowledge of astrology, geometry and philosophy and the purpose for which the construction of the building is required. But there are some basic concepts which will benefit everyone if followed.
A few of the basic concepts are mentioned below for an understanding of the science.
- The magnetic field of the earth plays and important role while formulating Vaastu Shastra which can significantly influence human life. According to Vaastu Shastra, one should never keep his/her head towards the north while lying as it obstructs the circulatory system causing irregular sleep, tension, paranoia and other mental problems. The magnetic fields of the same poles repel each other while the opposite attracts each other, therefore a person should keep his/her head towards the south or east.
- Vaastu Shastra holds the conviction that the boundary walls are an effective way of containing the energy level and the magnetic field of the plot. The wall should be thick and high in the western and the southern directions. In the north and the east a smaller, thinner wall is desired.
- According to Vaastu, the most beneficial entrances in the house are those in North East, East or North direction. So it would be ideal to have your main entrance in the Northeast, North or East.
- Living Room or the dining room is best facing East, North or Northeast directions.
- The bedroom according to Vaastu should be in southwest, south or west direction.
- The children’s bedroom should ideally be in Northwest. It could be in Southeast & North as well but never in southwest or south.
- If you are fortunate enough in present times to have the luxury of having a separate room for the guests, make the guestroom in Northwest or northeast SIDE.
- The kitchen of the house is ideally located in Southeast followed by NorthWest
- While purchasing a plot or a site, it is advisable to go in for a rectangular or square shape. As far as possible, the site should be slopping towards North & East or Northeast.
- While making the building or the house, it is advisable to have equal open space on all four sides. The levels of open spaces should be higher in North & East side and lower in South & West side. Outlets of rainwater should be in Northeast or North zones.
- The living room of the central zone (Brahma sthan) should be free from any kind of obstructions. By obstructions, we mean any kind of beam, pillar, fixture, toilet, staircase or even a wall or lift.
- The direction in which you sleep is also very important. One should never sleep with head in the north. Sleeping with head towards south ensures long life.
- In your study room, have your seat so as to face east or north. Do not have a toilet in the study room, though you can have a bathroom.
- Do not use a dark colour in the study room. Use yellow or white or pink. Put the book shelf in east or north.
- The bathroom/bathrooms can be either inside or outside the house. In case it is inside, it should be located on the eastern or northern side. (If attached to a bedroom, then to eastern or northern side of the bedroom). When located outside, then it should be in Northeast corner, but away from the main building.The lavatories are forbidden in Northeast, Center, Southwest and West directions of the house.
- An open well or a borewell should be dug in north-east. No wells or borewells should be dug in south-east, north-west or south-west.
- While designing the complex, more open space should be left in the east and north compared to west and south.
- Balconies towards north, east and north-east are advisable. Better not to keep balconies in south and west in general.
- North-east cellar is best for parking of vehicles
- Open area in north-south should be used for lawns, borewells and pumps.
- Open area in north-east can also be used for on and off parking.
- Vaastu Shastra also guides us about what type of plants and trees should be planted around a dwelling unit so as to enjoy their positive properties the most.
- Vaastu does not prescribe having a Mango, Banana or a Jamun tree very near your house. However Peepal at some distance from the house in West direction is considered auspicious as is Tamarind in South West of the house. Having a Tulsi – ocimum sanctum – in the Northeast or north or east is considered auspicious.
The Vaastu Shastra was evolved keeping in view the influence of the sun and the earth magnetic fields on the living beings on earth. Today, lot of research is happening around the world to understand the influence of the sun and earth’s magnetic fields on health, body cycles and secretions, individual and social mental states etc.
Perhaps the science of Vaastushastra might act as a lead to understand a few of the infinite mysteries that mother nature beholds.